American college experience is characterized by Greek life, specifically fraternities. There is a debate between those who perceive them as illegal and unruly, and those believe they are great organizations for the production of the next generation of skillful leaders. A variety of studies have been conducted to prove that core values and respectable characteristics are actively promoted and utilized within fraternities. My research proves that in spite of the bad image they receive, fraternities are great conduits for a successful career. In order to change their image, it is necessary for fraternities to change how they operate, internally and externally, and to establish a working and mutually beneficial relationship with their university.
- · Byer, John L. "Fraternity Members' Perceptions Of How Involvement In A Fraternity And Involvement In Student Government Has Influenced Their College Experiences." (1998): ERIC. Web. 7 Nov. 2014.
· "Core Values." National Park Service. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Dec. 2014.
· Flanagan, Caitlin. "The Dark Power of Fraternities." The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, Mar. 2014. Web. 02 Nov. 2014.
- · "Fraternity Membership And Labor Market Outcomes." Monthly Labor Review 135.12 (2012): 39-40. Business Source Premier. Web. 12 Dec. 2014.
- · "Fraternities and Sororities." Wikipedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Dec. 2014.
- · Gray, Eliza. "Fraternity Row." Time 184.23 (2014): 42. Middle Search Plus. Web. 12 Dec. 2014.
- · Isacco, Anthony, Ashlee Warnecke, Miguel Ampuero, Lindsay Donofrio, and Jonathan A. Davies. "Evaluation of a Leadership Program for Fraternity Men." The Journal of Men's Studies 21.3 (2013): 217-35. Web.
- · Jacobs, Peter. "I Joined A Fraternity And It Was One Of The Best Decisions I Ever Made." Business Insider. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Dec. 2014.
· Long, Larry D.1, firstname.lastname@example.org. "Unchallenged, Professed Core Values." College Student Affairs Journal 30.2 (2012): 15-30. OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson). Web. 2 Nov. 2014.
- · "Privatization 101." In the Public Interest. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Dec. 2014.